Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Psycho-geographical map

For Psycho - geographical analysis, I have chosen the street that I live on for more than two years already. I witnessed this street in various conditions during that time. That is why it could be a perfect specimen for exploration. To ease my task, I decided to take a look at the street in the time of the day that I've seen it the least - early morning. The first thing I noticed was the pressure of absolute silence. 6 am is not that early, and normally you can hear the birds or someone already going to work. This time I could not hear anything at all on the street, which is a weird experience in residential area. Nevertheless I noticed that the opposite side of the house was still louder that mine.

Another unusual thing that I have found out - I hardly ever looked at the house where I live in. I know the house on the opposite side of the street pretty well because I see it through the window. But the one I live in is hidden from my side, as I never walk the opposite side of the street. I found the window the I look through everyday, and tried to imagine that I don't know who lives there. I noticed the color the house has, if somebody asked me before I would hesitate to answer.

I have been waking down the street multiple times and decided to update my general experience of being there, as it's always nice to have a fresh look at something familiar. The street was sleeping and it was very empty. For a while the street seemed even more empty - when I started to re-experience it. Suddenly a word 'boring' came to my mind. That's what I would say if I saw the street -at least my side of the street -  for the first time again. There is no colorfulness, no character to that part of the street, as it is actually the very end of it. It is calm and it is sleepy even during the day, which is ironic due to it's closeness to the cemetery.

The street is quite spacious with wide pavements on the both side, that look even wider without people. After a while, some people started to appear - people with dogs. The street resembles a river - it ends with a small square, which, thanks to the dogs, shreds some live to the street. I noticed that the square is more like an agora for the residents of this part of the street: a pace for family-time, dog-time and even party-time.

For the assignment I have put these notices I've made - sound, color of my house, liveliness of the both sides of the street and appearance of dogs -  to the image of the street I was observing. in a form of icons and color: intensiveness of red indicates the liveliness, my house is the only one that is coloured on the picture, the amount of sound and dogs are marked by the size of the icons.


No comments:

Post a Comment